kitty companiona

kitty companiona

Thursday, July 30, 2009

New Projects

Thought it was time to begin another hooking project so I have something to take along to hook-ins. Hate to go empty handed! Since it's a good summer theme,I drew up the moon and stars watermelon pattern. Then realized that almost all the colors I would be using would have to be dyed. Well, I must admit that dying is not my favorite thing! And it's going to take time, thought, and planning.

Soooo, needing instant gratification, I drew a quickie project that will use up some of my wool that's already on hand. Zip and I had been to Cracker Barrel restaurant last week. While we were waiting for Brand, Kami, and her realtives to arrive, we played checkers on the porch. It was kind of fun, meaning we didn't get mad at each other! haha!! Thought I'd make a gameboard to use during those long boring winter nights.

Then I had some monks cloth left over at the end and drew the apple tree to use as a small table runner. It will probably be a gift at some point. Now I have two samller stress-free (I hope!) that I can work on while getting the wool ready for the watermelon rug.

In the month of July both my Mom and grand-daughter Emily have birthdays. We celebrated (at Emmy's request) at Bonanza at the mall. Here is the 13-year-old birthday girl, Zip (looking like he has eaten the sour pickle!) and in the background, my sister Linda.

And this is the 84-year-old birthday lady!

I got to do the cutting and serving of the cake.


With Brad and Kami looking as though they are sharing a joke. We had a delightful evening of family togetherness!


On the home front, the hummingbirds have finally arrived. Don't seem to be as many this year and they are late getting here. Must have been the cool weather and rain. The little guys flit around so fast that it's hard to get a decent picture, even with the zoom.


The feeder is hanging from a tree limb about 12 feet from our kitchen window.


I am still trying to learn how to use many of the features on my new camera. There is a setting for 'tree and leaf' setting that is supposed to make the greens more vibrant. The hostas do look vibrant.


And a setting for sunsets. This lovely one was a few evenings ago. I love sitting outside (except for the mosquitos!) in the evening and watch the sun go down behind the mountains. We have a few bats that flutter around overhead, and a whole herd of cats that wander through the yard and go down to the run to look for rodents. No, they are NOT mine! Our neighbor, unfortunately, does not believe in kitty birth control! Even though I deplore animal over -population, they are lovely to look at.

Good evening! Enjoy summer while it lasts!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. I was beginni8ng to worry because you hadn't posted for so long. Love the sunset picture - what kind of camera - must be a great one. Your new designs look great. Thanks for calling - it made my day. Come see the deck!
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely love your checkerboard idea!! so practical yet pretty!! The cake looks so good i want some....was it homemade? and your hosta is beautiful, mine got ruined at the beginning of the season cause of a hailstorm.... and you know hosta leaves do not grow back to quick... i guess you win some lose some... and i love to watch the hummingbirds...ive had them since may but dont seem like as many as ususal... and i still have tufted titmouse. and chickadees at the feeders.... i usually do not see them over the summer?? crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pat!!!!! Love your new patterns you drew up for yourself. I can't wait to see some "in progress" pictures! Happy Birthday to your mom and grand daughter to.
    Love the shot of the sunset. So beautiful compared to the wet, wet, wet weather we have been having.
    Guess I'll see you in the shop next Thursday for the hook-in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Pat - love your new patterns - i'll be you have them done in no time! Hope to get out to another hook-in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!