kitty companiona

kitty companiona

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Cake Adventure

We've had several days when the temperature lingered around 30 degrees and the sky was gray with a steady wind.  Already I'm feeling the hibernating urge.  Zip has been kind enough to make the trip to the library and the grocery store for those two essentials in my life, books and food.

I want to spend my winter in cat mode.


Curled up in the recliner near the woodstove sounds like a plan to me.


No, little sweetheart, I'm not going to attempt dislodging you from the chair!

I haven't posted for quite a while because I really haven't had anything to write about.  Life goes on, same stuff, different day.
Zip's birthday was on Saturday.  Number 71!  Yeesh, how did we get so OLD???
On Friday we went out with Brad and Kami to one of our favorite restaurants, Issei Noodle in Carlisle.
Then on Saturday we had a get-together with our grand-daughter Emily, her Mom and boyfriend at Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg.





The family picture minus me, I'm behind the camera.

 And with Kami taking the picture.
It was also Zack, Emmy's boyfriend's birthday too.

Now for the cake part.  Zip's mom is 93 tomorrow so we had her birthday dinner last evening.
About enough birthdays to make your head spin, isn't it?

Every year a different one of the brothers and sisters in Zip's family are responsible for providing the birthday cake.  This year it was our turn.  I get really tired of cakes from the grocery store with cool whip frosting and garish colored decorations.  All that food coloring can't be good for a person, right?

So I decided I would make cakes.  Even though I haven't baked a cake in years.

WHAT WAS I THINKING???

My first thought was to make them all from scratch, but then I came to my senses and decided to use cake mixes and just make creative fillings and frostings.
My sister Linda had made a wonderful cake with white cake mix and then you poke holes in it and let a can of cream of coconut soak down in it.
Seemed like a good idea until I tried to get the soaked cake out of the pan and it all fell to pieces.

I also found that with some cake mixes the layers can be cut in half with thread and moved to a plate, and others crumble to pieces because they are too delicate.
Several such attempts went into the trash.

I finally made three cakes with successfully divided layers, one chocolate and two yellow.  I think it was the Duncan Hines mixes that worked the best.  Betty Crocker cakes were nice and fine and moist, but crumbled easily.

The fillings and frostings were actually the easy part.  It was fun making lemon curd and chocolate mousse.  And I made some of the most yummy chocolate frosting ever.

Dark chocolate cake with tree layers of chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream frosting.



Yellow cake with chocolate and maraschino cherry filling and white buttercream frosting with cherries on top.


And my personal favorite.
Yellow cake with two lemon curd  layers with vanilla buttercream frosting. and lemon curd in the center of the top.


So you can see how exciting my life has been lately!  ha-ha!

I started another sweater.  Decided cables might be interesting for a change.


Already finding out that it isn't challenging enough to old my interest for long.
This is the back.  I think I'll all two more panels of cables to the front.  Just one panel looks like it will get lost between my boobs.

It's time to bet back to the recliner and that nice warm stove.  With a cup of hot coffee and a good book.


Or maybe not...

Thanks for stopping by!


16 comments:

  1. Those cakes look delish! I am not a baker. Every effort turns into an epic fail. I am impressed at how many attempts you made. Persistence pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back, Pat. You are looking good. What you posted about is what everyone posts about...life in general, so don't feel you have nothing to contribute. I know I love to see your cats, too. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. Your winter plan sounds perfect to me.. thru in rug hooking and quilting and I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty ambitious cake baker, you are!! But I agree with typical bakery cake thing ~ these all looked really good! Glad to hear from you ~ we miss it when bloggers don't blog! But sometimes you just can't!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat. I hate seeing winter coming too, and about getting old, I'm getting closer to my birthday too this month but my cake will be nothing as fancy as your if I get a chance to make one from scratch even.

    Happy to belated Birthday to Zip and Zack and Happy Birthday to your mother in law. I like that you all can have one big party and get it done with.

    I love, love that knitting pattern, those little diamonds with the cable looks so nice and also I love the rich color.

    What do you mean you don't have anything to blog about? Your cats and your hobbies are always fodder for your blog. I really miss your blogging Pat. You have such nice hobbies and you are so talented and such a great cook. It's all interesting to me, it's like visiting with you with a nice cup of coffee if one of the cat would let me sit, lol...

    I hope that winter will be more gentle this year and will depart early. It's warm and raining today , a good day to sit by the wood stove and sipping hot coffer and reading a good book.
    Hugs,
    JB

    Life had been crazy here lately.

    Hugs,
    JB


    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean coffee. Please forgive all the typos.
    Geez. I can't coordinate my brain with my fingers.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my first comment got lost in cyberspace! So here goes another Pat! So good to see a post from my friend in PA! It is that time of year again to hunker down and stay busy with the knitting and kitty snuggling ( in my case canine snuggling LOL!) Those cakes look fabulous and are works of art! Are you sure you weren't a famous chef in another life? Looks like another beauty of a sweater is in the making there too! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Hugs!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm... I'll have a slice of each, please! Those cakes really do look and sound yummy! Great pics of everyone! Always a nice treat to go out for a meal together! Since it's been cooler here too, I've been wanting to sleep late and then nap in the afternoon... lol! 'tis the season for hibernating... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, cake,cat company and ermm,,,,,,,a nice recliner chair if there's room! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from one crazy cat lady to another :) Love your cat pictures, I'd like to invite you to look at my blog for pictures of my cats. Your farmhouse is to die for...three stories! Wow!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your cakes look fantastic and all with interesting and different fillings!!! Hope you have a nice birthday celebration, I'm certain everyone will love the cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pat,
    So good to hear from you!
    Your cakes look wonderful, but I would have given up after the first disaster!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi pat - Was just telling Linda this weekend I miss seeing you! So good to see you and Zip - you guys look great! Big hugs to you and the kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cats have the right idea on how to spend the winter. You cakes look delish.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have beautiful cats. They keep my mind off the cakes, though they look delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. those cakes look wonderful!
    your cats seem very wise, and find the best spots in your home, I remember they are always up to something, even a warm snooze sounds so appealing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!