kitty companiona

kitty companiona

Monday, September 14, 2015

The Sum of my Summer

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Well, this is a picture of my summer, sad to say.


+ computer
+ Kindle
+ library books
+ fans, lovely fans
+ lime Jello, my favorite food on a hot day.  But not my only food, unfortunately!
+ lots of heat
____________

The bottom line is a big fat nothing.  That was my summer.

OK, I did a few things but you've seen all the greenhouses, farmer's markets, and whatever before.

No handcrafty stuff either.  My craft area has been a mess since rearranging rooms when Brad and Kami moved in.  A messy work space doesn't make me feel like creating.  Maybe instead of wasting my time reading I could have been cleaning and organizing.  Do ya think???  But NOOOOO...

And my helpers weren't into it either.  Deiter was too busy being ON the computer.


Do you see that lovely country scene that's on my desktop?  Walking down that dirt road on a nice 75-degree day is what I really should have been doing.  If I were not so old and fat and lazy.

Zip and I did ride around in air conditioned comfort and take a few pictures of houses and flowers.  There's nothing I find more appealing than a nicely decorated entrance.  These make me want to stop, knock on the door and ask if I could please come in and have tea.

 I don't know any of the people who live in these houses, just dreamin'.

                                                 Newville, near the Big Spring


                                                         Downtown Newville


                                                                    Shippensburg


Now I'm going to rant about the weather which has such a strangle hold on my moods.

The summer started out hot.  We had rain, usually about twice a week.  The yard looked good, the garden flourished, the flower beds filled in nicely

Then came July.  The rain stopped.  It got hotter than blazes.  The garden dried up, the grass turned brown and crispy.  For the past two and a half months we didn't get enough rain to dampen a paper towel.  And it drove me crazy, checking WeatherBug daily to see if there was a storm anywhere near Newburg.  But NOOOOO!  There were storms all around us but not over Newburg.  I am so glad that I did not marry a farmer.  I would have been hauled off to the loony bin years ago.

Then there are the weather people on the local news stations with their cheery predictions of chances of showers and thunderstorms.  Chances, mind you, that never seemed to materialize.  If I had been in charge of the personnel at those stations, all the predictors would now be on unemployment.  How can you be so wrong so often and still have a job???

We finally got a nice little shower on Saturday (yes, they predicted right for once, but we got less than they said we would), not nearly enough but at least we know it still can rain.  That little bit of rain and the cooler temperatures that followed have renewed my faith for the moment.  The grass is a tiny bit greener.

Oh, and several of my favorite places have closed or in the process of closing.

The Fabric Outlet in Lemoyne, my favorite place to buy fabric if I ever decide to sew.
The Country Pantry outside of Shippensburg, my favorite bulk food store.
The Mannings weaving supply and school is closing at the end of the year.  One of the best yarn
       suppliers and only weaving equipment and thread supplier in the area.

I will sure miss all of these places.

Has sitting around in front of a fan reading and eating Jello turned me into a whack job???  Probably.  I was on my way down that road anyhow.
But I will end this diatribe with a happy summer picture.

Don't you just love this little fountain in the middle of a residential section in Chambersburg?

                                                        Water, cool water!   
  
Happy, happy!  Fall is on the way!


4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for Fall! I hope you can find it in you to be kinder to my friend Pat. I think sometimes we are our own harshest judge. I think those entryways are quite lovely- I think it would be really fun to knock and invite ourselves for tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! I'll try, though I find it hard not to be cynical about myself. Especially since I had so much energy and did so many things when younger. Now that I'm older, I feel so darn lazy and can't seem to get myself out of the rut.

      Delete
  2. Dear Pat, I've been on a little blog break as you know but I just had to stop in to leave a comment since you posted.
    It has been a weird summer and the heat has been something else. I'm so glad that you posted even though you haven't been crafting or moved mountains. I always rejoice to see one of your posts.

    I'm wondering if your thyroid is making you feel lazy. A sluggish thyroid can make a person very tired, moody, sluggish, depressed, problem sleeping, restlessness, slow heart rate, feeling cold,
    ( hardly a problem this summer, lol...) hair loss, irritable, dry skin, brittle nails,tingling hands, constipation.

    If you have some of these symptoms it might be good to have your thyroid tested. It would be so good if you could feel energetic again.

    I hope that soon it will feel cooler for you.
    That Deiter looks like he wants you to go for a walk on that country road we see on the computer screen.

    I'm getting ready to fly to Ottawa for a week so I should have some time to post and leave comments.
    Wishing you well.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, if I didn't have to drag my lazy ass to an office everyday I would have spent my summer the same as you! I hate it when its hot and humid, makes me the queen of cranky. Soon it will feel cooler and crispy and people like us will get a little more energized.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!