kitty companiona

kitty companiona

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Catching Up

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
The summer is flying by!
What have we been doing???
Some days are busy and then there were the very lazy days during that heat wave in July.

Some of us sat in front of the fan with our water bottle and a good book.


 Others got a funky haircut.  Much cooler!  And Reggie is the only cat in town with a Mohawk.


Some helped Mom with her knitting.


We had special visitors.


These guys landed on our ratty old tractor shed  early one morning.  They paraded up and down the slope of the roof and spread their wings to dry them in the warm sunlight.


These birds are turkey vultures.  They are huge with a wingspan of up to six feet.  I know a lot of people don't like them because they are nature's clean-up crew, but I find them fascinating.
I wish the pictures were clearer.  I took them through the screen on the kitchen window with the zoom so as not to have to open the door and disturb them. 


 Unfortunately they only stopped by that one morning, stayed for about 20 minutes, and went on their way, soaring up into the sky once again.

Even in the heat we managed to go a few places.  Since we don't have a/c in our home it was nice to get into the car and take an occasional drive.
One place we went was the Country Market between Carlisle and Mount Holly Springs on route 34.

They have an outside flea market on weekends.  We didn't spend too much time there because it was in the high 90's that day.


 Inside it was nice and cool so we didn't mind lingering.  There are several booths with crafts and decorative items.  I especially liked the work of this local photographer.


 And being a farmers' market, there are produce stands with local as well as shipped-in fruits and veggies.


 The meat counter has really nice quality at reasonable prices.  We can personally recommend the filet mignons.


 My favorite stand is the Vietnamese food vendor.  They make the most yummy raw spring rolls, which they offer with chicken, beef, or vegetarian.  They have different entrees and sides each week depending on the choice of the cook.  I've tried most of their food and it has all been good.


 Raw spring rolls, corn-on-the-cob and zucchini sticks.  A good lunch or dinner on a hot day.


 While the weather was at it's hottest I did a lot of sitting, listening to books on CD and knitting.
I finished this lace rib top.


 Then I started on the fun project of the summer.
I was seduced into a class on Craftsy, the Fair Isle Vest- Stranded and Steeked by Mary Jane Mucklestone.

What a fun project!!!
There were two yarn kits offered for the class.  One was an expensive Shetland wool from Jamieson's and the other was a much more reasonable Cascade 220 sport yarn.  Well, you know I'm a yarn tightwad!  I opted for the Cascade, which to my dismay were the brightest colors imaginable!
The yarn almost blinded me!  ha-ha!

Yikes, bright orange, hot-hot pink, fluorescent yellow! 

So I decided to dull the colors with a little dip in the dyepot.


 So much better!

Fair Isle is a type of color knitting that looks complicated but is really very simple.  It is knit from charted patterns and the beauty is that there are only ever two colors in each row, making it one of the easier types of color stranded knitting.
The body of the vest in progress...


The whole vest is knit in the round on circular needles, even up past the armholes and the v-neck.  Then it is steeked.  The knitting is carefully reinforced with along the armholes and neck with either hand or machine stitching.  The knitting is then cut open and the ribbing bands are added to finish the edges.
Wish I would have taken pictures of the whole process, but I was so enthralled with the colors and the fun of knitting with the two strands of yarn that I didn't even think of it.

The finished vest!


Hope all of you are having a fantastic summer!
Thanks for stopping by!

p.s. Next time I will give instructions for how to make the spring rolls at home.

10 comments:

  1. wow that is some kitty haircut! wondering how Freddy kept still for all that! a great journey with you as always, the photos and the food looks yummy! hugs and blessing to you both and the 5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is, Reggie didn't want to stay still for too long. Thus the strange haircut.
    He was getting a lot of matted hair on his sides and wouldn't let me brush them out so we decided to have him clipped. I told the groomer to do the worst spots first, just in case...
    Reggie's patience was limited and the groomer didn't want to push it and I didn't blame him. Once cats get agitated there is no reasoning with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deiter is so smart and sophisticated! ;-) I do like Reggie's new hair cut! I bet he feels much cooler too! We had so many of those turket vultures a couple of towns over that they had a "hunt" on them... seems their "droppings" have an odor worse than what they dine on... I haven't gotten close enough to confirm that though... lol! Flea marketing is always fun.... of course, during the heat wave I spent very little time outdoors and moved very slowly... lol! Lovely sweaters! You're very talented! Great job on toning down those colors too! You'll be all set for the autumn days ahead! Always good to hear from you... enjoy the remainder of these Summer days... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a kitty Mohawk before but after reading your reply comment it makes good sense. It makes him look trendy! Good call on toning down the colors. It looks great but I did giggle when you said it was easy. That pattern wold have me sweating.
    I'm happy for the cooler temps too. No home a/c was not fun in July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat ~
    COOL pics of the turkey vultures!
    Sorry, I don't believe that Fair Isle knitting is not complicated. Your vest is beautiful. You are so darned talented!!!
    Great kitty pictures. Reggie is too funny. I hope the other furbabies aren't laughing at him too much.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read Kim's comment. I really think she meant that pattern would have her swearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazingly interesting post ...I enjoyed every word.
    Had to giggle at Reggie ...I think our Toto could have done with that hair cut but I dont think anyone clps cats here.As for the rolls ...cant wait for the recipe.The food at the market looked wonderful ....wish we could get beef that cheap.
    Now for the knitting ....love what you did to tame the wool and that vest is gorgeous ....when I knitted a lot in my younger days (in the 70's)I knitted one very like that ....I remember planning the rows on graph paper ....not sure I could do it now,love the idea of knitting it in the round ...no matching of the sides etc.
    Lastly ...I would love to see birds like that ...no matter that they are cleaner-uppers!!!
    Take Care ...btw ..I think our summer is nearly over ... 4 weeks of good weather is more than we expect here lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pat, I'm lagging behind for commenting. It's been a very busy week here at my house.

    You've been a busy girl and you amaze me with that beautiful Fair Isle vest. I'm still working on my pink scarf and my tension isn't constant. I haven't knitted thai week as my daughter is visiting with her two boys, James and Daniel.

    Your cat must feel so much better with the hair cut. I see that the fur kids are good at helping you and one is smart enough to read.

    Take care,
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so inspired by your knitting! It is lovely. I am still not sure of Fair Isle Knitting but maybe one day I'll give it another try. Love the post and all the pictures! Hugs, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. This vest is gorgeous!!! Your talent never ceases to amaze me :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!